Friday, February 7, 2014

Dear ELDER Valentine's Day PACKAGE


I just sent out my brother's Valentine's Day package. I filled it full of love and a bit of rushed exhaustion. In the end I am surprised I was able to make it out on time and in one piece. I was so proud of my stuffing abilities, because honestly after looking at everything that was supposed to go in, I kinda laughed at myself. But in the end I made it work!

I saw lots of heart ideas on Pinterest. Everything from conversation-like hearts, or heart attack heart packages, scripture hearts, count down hearts and on and on. I decided to do a scripture based heart countdown idea, although he will get this package with little time to countdown, I think the idea is still fun. If I had time managed better I would have done cute designs on each heart with the countdown number, instead I just let my little ones scribble and draw on them. I would have loved to draw cute little arrow heart designs or an x's and o's border or something similar.



I used these scriptures,

  1. Deuteronomy 6:5
  2. 1 John 3:18
  3. 3 Nephi 12:44
  4. Moroni 10:32
  5. John 15:13
  6. 1 Chronicles 16:34
  7. Ephesians 4:2
  8. Moroni 7:47
  9. John 3:16
  10. Romans 12:10
  11. 1 Peter 4:8
  12. 1 John 4:7
  13. Moroni 8:17
  14. Jacob 3:2 


You could easily search the word "love" on lds.org and find your favorites, scriptures or quotes alike.

I found this Top 5 Things I Love About You Printable HERE, and wrapped the Nutty Bars (one of my brother's most loved treats) in the printable. And then I used the bottom portion of the printable, with the cute arrows, to wrap his Butterfinger candy bar up with.


I found the LOVE printable HERE, and printed it on cardstock, then I took a regular piece of paper and cut both pieces in a heart and stapled them around the edges (you could also sew or tape). I left a hole at the top and inserted the candy and stapled it up. I like having little pieces of the candy sticking out, and it makes for a fun present opening like experience for the missionary.


My little ones loved making valentines for our missionary. My son helped make a paper airplane valentine, which I found the free printable HERE. And my daughter helped (in spirit ;)) making the "Eye Heart You!" Valentine. I've seen the googly eye inspired cards everywhere so I made my own version with a googly eye, yarn and some scraps of red paper. In theory I was hoping to have my daughter do the glue work and help stick on the scraps of paper as the center of the heart, but she was far from interested.
For the hands and footprint valentine, I had my daughters on one side and my sons on the other. I stumbled onto this idea via Pinterest, and there is a link to the picture I originally found HERE.




After I did the creating I laid out the insides of my package and started stuffing. With a little trial and error I got everything almost everything inside :)

Here is a full list: 
Valentine's from the kids
14 Scripture Hearts
Classic Candy Filled Valentine Heart
Sweethearts, and mini boxes of the candied hearts (for him to share with other Elders or investigators)
Love Printable Heart, filled with candy
Lindor Truffle Heart
Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
Butterfinger Candy Bar, wrapped in arrows printable
Little Debbie Nutty Bars, wrapped in Top 5 Things I Love About You Printable
Bear Favor Box filled with candy (most of the candy made it in, but the Bear Box was a little too big)


Although it was a bit rushed I was happy to get my Valentine Package off to our Elder AND very relieved :) Sometimes it is too much work, especially if you cram it all into one day with only a couple hours till the post office closes!

If you would rather fill your package up with some non-candy items as well you can find all sorts of themed items this time of year that would fit your package, anything like: A Scarf, Lotion, Old Spice Deodorant, Themed Tie, Mug w/pink marshmallow hearts inside, Photo Album (I've seen some done where everyone is making kissy faces or hearts with their hands), or for Sister's in particular lip gloss/lip balm, nail polish, jewelry, a wallet, or even some red and pink hair accessories. 

Please share what you would or did put in your Valentine packages!